Sunday, August 17, 2014

Perspectives Testimony

I went to a College gathering a few years ago and passed by a friend who was sitting behind a table signing up students.  I stopped to say hello, and my life was changed in that moment.

I listened as she explained the “missions” class that she was promoting and discovered that it was open to everyone, no matter their age.

I knew my own daughter would be leaving on a two-year assignment overseas very soon and was feeling a little overwhelmed.  I saw this class as my opportunity to understand her heart more and decided to check into it.  I took a pamphlet.

As I registered for Perspectives On the World Christian Movement, I realized that I would have to drive to Little Rock for this three-hour college level course, which was being offered in a church that spring.  It was actually more costly than I wanted but God was prompting me to keep pursuing it.  I couldn’t find anyone else who would take it with me.  Finally, I knew that I couldn’t say no, and found myself registering and writing my check.

This course has impacted my decisions and the direction of my spiritual life more than any other opportunity for Christian growth.  The main thing that I learned at 47 years old was that He is God and I am not.  That may seem odd, but it definitely changed the questions I ask, the way I pray, and the priorities that I choose.  My life is in His hands and my “yes” is on the table.  

Because I took this course, I not only understood my own daughter’s role in reaching the nations for Christ, but I understood my own role in reaching the nations.  Because I took this course I then found the need to be a part of offering it to others in our small town.  I became a Perspectives Coordinator and helped facilitate it for four years following.  Because I took this course I fell in love with the mandate to plant churches and my husband and I planted a church.  Because I took this course, I now love people more, want to be a disciple who makes disciples, want to pursue a stronger relationship with my Savior, and want my legacy to be one of imparting Christ to others.

I don’t know if my testimony of how my life changed means anything to anyone else, but I love my life and look forward to each day serving Jesus. 


I encourage you to pray about whether you should also take the course.  That is the only criteria – does He want you to?  If so, is now the time? 

No comments: