Wednesday, November 16, 2016

NEPAL, A BUCKET-LIST ADVENTURE



NEPAL, A BUCKET-LIST ADVENTURE




WELL…I have been to Nepal and my heart is full.  My children and grandchildren have lived in Kathmandu for the past five years, loving on and serving the people whom they call family now, with determination and compassion.  I have followed every step they have made with awe and sometimes shock.  As they relayed stories of their lives and those around them, I’ve had a growing desire to see this strange and wonderful land for myself.  My curiosity was two fold – one was to set foot on this third-world country, see with my own eyes the exotic and ancient sights and vivid colors, hear the incessant honking, gonging, and chatter of different languages, and smell the odd – sometimes lovely, sometimes not so much – wafts of street food, mixed with incense, spices and honestly, dirt.  The second was that I believed in the work my children were doing among this beautiful people who were created by God to be culturally different, and I wanted to be a part – be it small – of that work.  I guess there was the third reason that should go without saying – I wanted to hug and kiss my children and grandchildren in their adopted homeland.

I have been to Asia four times now.  We visited Lacey as a young, single overseas worker in Darjeeling, India several years ago.  We went to Indonesia to help some friends with childcare and then I went to southern India when our fourth grandchild was born.  There are some things that are just expected in Asia like the piles of shoes by the front door, as wearing outside shoes inside is socially unacceptable.  As, I stated before, Asia is full of exotic sites and sounds to enjoy, unlike you find in western countries.  Navigation of streets and sidewalks is a skill that is developed from a very young age – call it defensive, if you will – as people walk and drive aggressively to their destination without major accidents in overcrowded narrow pathways and alleyways.  And then there is the random cow that saunters down the middle of the street alongside you, only to stop and eat from a local trash pile! These are things that are strangely endearing to me as I have experienced Asia.  Then there are the people – beautiful people with varying shades of dark skin, rosy cheeks and inviting smiles.  They are a kind and friendly people with curiosity about the west and although they might speak in very broken English their communication skills are practiced and effective.  They will sell you their goods at whatever price you are willing to pay and delight at your poor bargaining and haggling skills!


This trip was different from the others I have made to Asia.  Though the torturous 15-hour plane ride was the same, the difference was clear as I gazed across the isle and peered through the open window of a fellow passenger with a clear view of the ice capped Himalaya Mountains.  I had seen the Himalayan hills before, but never the majesty of such grandeur as these tallest mountains in the world presented on this blindingly sunny day.  Though the brightness was overwhelming, my eyes were continually drawn back to the view in awe.  Even though weary from the strenuous travel, excitement built within for the adventure that lay ahead.  And we were almost there!



No comments: