Sunday, February 10, 2013

Street Scenes

It was well into my third week in India that the street scenes started to become common place for me.  Until then, when we would ride through the streets in a rick shaw, I could not look fast enough and take in what my eyes beheld quickly enough to be able to multitask by talking as we rode along.  I wanted to see everything and tried to process it, too.  I wanted to remember what I was experiencing and was cataloging questions, formulating opinions, and scripting this blog. 

I took pictures of things that intrigued me.  They might be beautiful things, unique things, or ugly things.  There are pictures that I missed that I always intended to get, such as a family of four riding on a scooter in the middle of heavy traffic with the children sandwiched in between or standing in front of the driver.  I could never take a picture that accurately portrayed the incredible traffic situation.  One night after dark Lacey and I were in a rickshaw going home.  We had been to a late afternoon appointment with her doctor and there was heavy traffic.  As we approached a double set of railroad tracks she said, "Oh, Mom - hold on! You won't believe the dangerous situation that we are approaching!"  A train was coming and cars, motorcycles, buses, and rickshaws all converged upon the edge of the tracks in random placement.  Everyone was honking, racing their motors, edging closer and closer to one another, squeezing into tiny openings in anticipation of the train's passing.  When the last car of the train passed the road's edge, everyone went at once! We could only hope there wasn't another train coming on the other track because there would be no way for the traffic to clear up in time.  It would have made an exciting and terrifying video!  And then, there was the beauty...I could have taken a picture of every sari that I saw!  I really loved looking at the way women had put together there complete ensemble.  Even their shoes were chosen carefully.  They are such girly girls!  Of course there was the blaring poverty of the tent cities and the horrific scene of children playing at very dangerous construction and work sites that drew my eye, as well.

 

 


This is a great example of their idea of scaffolding...kept thinking about how facsinating this would be for my Daddy to see and how terrifying it would be for my brothers-in-law!!








Although this wasn't a street scene, it was still quite an experience.  Ajay was getting all of his blond curls cut off in a barber shop.  He was not happy, but did pretty well with Mom and Dad close by. 


No comments: